- Two things that were new to me or surprised me from
the curriculum orientation guide and/or glossary of new terms
First thing that I feel surprised is that “thinking” is listed as one of the core competencies. When I was in school, there was not an emphasis on training how students think. Even in subject like mathematics, I did not see any implementations that were dedicated toward training students to think critically and creatively. Normally math classes were taught in the form of a lecture, which was a one way communication from teacher to students. Students mimicked how teacher solve problems and learn the technique for solving problems. There were rarely any debates between teachers and students on concepts, instead, student would trust their teacher entirely and follow what the teacher did. There were not much creative nor critical thinking. I see the importance in teaching students to think but thinking itself is a very abstract object which is hard to grasp as well as to measure. I glad to see that this is properly addressed in nowadays curriculum and I would like to see how we can follow up with this.
The second thing I read which was not seen during my school time was the use of inquiry-based approaches. As I mentioned, in a mathematics classroom, the method of delivering knowledge was through lecture. Usually after learning in class, we practiced our skills by the assigned homework and used the way we were taught in class. And the traditional way for assessment were tests and exams. Talking from my own experience, I had never done a mathematical project nor an open-ended small research problem in secondary school. All of what we learned is for the purpose of passing exams but not for applying them in the real life situations. I have heard a saying that “education is the kindling of the flame not a filling of a vessel”. It is very important for educators to elicit the interest and curiosity from students so that they can take ownerships of their learning. Inquiry-based approach is one good way to actually implement creative and critical thinking skills which is lacked in traditional approach. - My own schematic chart of possible pathways in
the courses of the BC Math curriculum from Grade 8 - 12.
Thursday, October 15, 2020
The new BC curriculum & secondary math course pathways structure
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Assignment 3 Final Version
Assignment 3 Final Version
-
Assignment 3 Final Version
-
Two things that were new to me or surprised me from the curriculum orientation guide and/or glossary of new terms First thing that I feel su...
-
Mathematical education ideologies can be characterized in two polarities, namely progressive and conservative. From reading this article, ...
What an interesting discussion of critical and creative thinking, inquiry and project work and secondary school math! Great ideas here, Chloe. It will take a lot of consideration and a willingness to innovate to change our math classes to places of thinking, but it is very important that it happen, and soon.
ReplyDeleteGood flow chart of BC math courses. Notice that History of Math, Geometry and Stats are available to all students as far as I know, and I'm not sure that Foundations 11 students could go directly into Precalc 12 and Calculus without going back to take Precalc 11.