Monday, September 21, 2020

Discussion on Sept 21

To add on to Sarah's group, I totally agree with them on the first point they made. At the beginning of learning math, it is not practical to start the students with relational learning. Instrumental learning at the beginning serves as foundation bricks helping towards building the structure of math where relational learning starts.

Just to add bit to Jacob's. I think for some respective area in math, usually in higher level, some talents may be counted as advantage. For example in areas of abstract algebra or algebraic geometry, students needs to be extra creative in coming up with ways to prove. However, for the material taught in high school level math, all students should reach understanding with appropriate amount of practice. Student shouldn't use the excuse of having "math anxiety" to avoid even putting efforts in studying.

Just to add on Alexa's group, I think student who graduate high school is unlikely to use the knowledge they have learned in high school mathematics. However, learning math is a way to sharpen student's thinking skills. Student should be able to think independently and logically. I think this is one of the goals in mathematical education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Assignment 3 Final Version

  Assignment 3 Final Version