Mathematical education ideologies can be characterized in two polarities, namely progressive and conservative. From reading this article, I found that the development in mathematical education curriculums in the US lines closely with its historical and political events. The dominance of the different two polarities depends on what was happening globally at that time.
When reading the table for comparison between conservative and progressive teaching, I was surprised that throughout my education in the past 20 years, I was, especially in mathematics, taught more from the conservative method than progressive. I did my elementary education in China and I was told before coming to Canada that I will find Canadian education very different from Chinese. I agree with that up to certain points. Here in Canada, we get less homework load and we don’t value marks from examinations as much as back in China. But in terms of the goals of math learning, nature of student work, and many more areas of interest, I find little difference between the two cultures. And during my time in secondary and postsecondary education I did here, I found the teaching styles reflect more of conservative rather than progressive.
Another thing I found interesting was that during the progressive reform, Dewey proposed the idea of doing mathematics, with experimentation and inquiry. Even though the process can be hard to control, messy and unsettling, it is thought to produce “scientific and democratic thinkers rather than rigidly obedient rule-followers. So, does this imply that the “obedient rule followers” cannot be “scientific and democratic thinkers”. With the belittlement of valuing precision and correctness, does this imply solving a mathematical question correctly is less important than the process of “exploring”. My concern is that the process of exploring can be hard to assess and grading such processes can be subjective. Therefore, how to standardize and make it practical should also be addressed.
In the New Math period, I was impressed about the attempt math educators made to “create a unified, logical, highly abstract algebraic structure”. I actually like the idea of integrating some areas from modern mathematics into school math curriculum. That is because subjects like set theory, abstract algebra, and etc. don't require a high level of calculation skill. Instead, immersing students with the idea and broadening their view in mathematics can be helpful in developing thinking skills. This transition needed a longer period of time to accommodate “local conditions, cultures, or educational traditions”. However, with lack of persistence and because of its high demand, New Math programs started to fade after the 1970s. I am wondering, since not all students are suitable for the new math program, can school make it as an elective course made for students who are interested and willing to spend effort in learning it. I like the New Math program but I hardly agree with their view that “every student was a potential future rocket scientist.
I guess we came from the same background in terms of learning Math back in Asia. Their emphasis on efficiency is second to none. At the same time, people are obsessed with getting good marks in exams especially major ones like national high school open exams. People see this as the key to their future since it allows them to get into good universities and colleges.
ReplyDeleteAnd I do agree with you we can put some "new math" ideas into our current curriculum. And yes we can make these topics optional electives so people can pick and choose their area of interest. I think it will be interesting if we get to choose different math courses we can do instead of having just 1 mandatory pre caluclus course that we have to take. It just gives people more options because as you said not "everyone was a potential future rocket scientist".
Hi Ivan, I totally agree with you on the importance for marks in Asian education. However, in Canada, to be able to enter an good university, we still need high GPA (which relate closely to the mark you get in each exam). I think the obsession with respect to "mark" cannot be solved unless the system of education changes. Maybe the method of assessment should be changed.
ReplyDelete